UN Member States and other stakeholders to hold preparations for the Stockholm+50 International Meeting
Monday, 28 March 2022, 10:00am EST/ 5:00pm EAT/ 3:00pm CET/ 2:00pm GMT
- The UN General Assembly made a decision to convene an international meeting in Stockholm on 2 and 3 June 2022, to commemorate 50 years since the UN Conference on the Human Environment, co-hosted by the Governments of Sweden and Kenya.
- The theme of the meeting is “Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity”. It shall include three leadership dialogues, to yield clear and concrete recommendations for action at all levels.
- The media is welcome to join a preparatory meeting on Monday, 28 March, to be attended by UN Member States, international bodies, NGOs and other groups.
Date: Monday 28 March 2022,
Time: 10:00am EST/ 5:00pm EAT/ 3:00pm CET/ 2:00pm GMT
- General Assembly Hall, UN Headquarters, New York.
- The event will be broadcast live on UN Web TV:
Duration: full day
- 10:00-10:50am(EST): Opening of the meeting; presentation on the vision and concept of the meeting and presentation on the preparations for Stockholm +50;
- 10:50am-12:30pm: Interactive discussion on the background document for Leadership Dialogue 1: Reflecting on the urgent need for actions to achieve a healthy planet and prosperity of all.
- 12:30-4:10pm: Interactive discussion on the background document for Leadership Dialogue 2: Achieving a sustainable and inclusive recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Note this includes a two-hour break from 1:00 to 3:00pm.
- 4:10-5:50pm: Interactive discussion on the background document for Leadership Dialogue 3: Accelerating the implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development in the context of the decade of action.
- 5:50-6:00pm: Closing remarks and closing of the meeting.
Note that a Press Release will be published following the closing of the preparatory meeting.
NOTES TO EDITORS
The International Meeting “Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity” is a critical milestone towards renewed multilateralism and strengthened global solidarity. It is a time for bold action and engagement by acknowledging and highlighting the need for international unity, reciprocity, and diversity. This is a time for all actors to find their unique place in a global system, in collaboration with others, to embrace new ideas and commit to a shared responsibility for a better future on a healthy planet with prosperity for all.
All relevant stakeholders – including organizations and bodies of the United Nations system, intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, and other interested international bodies and nongovernmental organizations (i.e., organizations with “an interest in the field of the environment, civil society organizations, indigenous peoples’ organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the youth, the private sector and philanthropic organizations”) are invited to contribute to the discussions of the international meeting and their preparation.
Visit the official Stockholm+50 website for more information: https://www.stockholm50.global